Many people in the United States struggle with mental health disorders and addiction. Before you receive treatment, the rehab facility will conduct a diagnosis to determine your exact illness. A dual diagnosis treatment center comprises of a physical exam, lab tests, and a psychological evaluation.
Types of Common Mental Illnesses
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) published the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which details the defining symptoms of all mental illnesses. This manual is useful as it explains a variety of mental illnesses, such as:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders, such as learning disorders, autism, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia
- Treatments from a personality disorder treatment center, which share a unique characteristic of excess excitement, energy, and activity followed by episodes of mania
- Depressive disorders that affect your emotions and disrupt your functioning ability
- Anxiety disorders characterized by the anticipation of future misfortune or danger, plus worrying
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders, such as hair-pulling or hoarding
- Eating and feeding disorders, such as binge-eating and anorexia nervosa
There are many other mental disorders that do not meet the full criterion for the above diseases.
What to Expect During Your Mental Health Treatment in Texas
The treatment you’ll receive will depend on the type of mental condition you have. Often, rehab facilities combine several treatments for the best results. If you suffer from mild symptoms, primary care will be enough. Yet, the facility may put in place a team approach to meet all your medical, social, and psychiatric needs. This is particularly true for severe conditions like schizophrenia.
There are several types of therapy programs, including:
- Relapse prevention
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Nutritional counseling
- Group therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- EMDR therapy
The doctor may also prescribe psychiatric medications to manage the symptoms. And make other treatments more effective. The best medications will depend on your mental condition and your body’s response. The most common types include antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, mood-stabilizing medications, and antipsychotic medications.
Take Part in Your Own Care
For successful recovery, you must work together with your care provider. This way, you’ll be able to decide the best treatment plan. The best therapy treatment for your case will depend on the severity of your symptoms. The doctor will also consider your personal preferences.
In some cases, the illness can render you incapable of decision-making. If this happens, your loved one or doctor will make all critical decisions on your behalf.
When pursuing mental health treatment in Texas, you should not skip any sessions once therapy starts. Also, follow the doctor’s instructions when taking the medication. If you skip or alter dosages, the symptoms may reappear. Seek medical advice if you’re experiencing any undesirable side effects.
An effective Texas mental health treatment program will help you to overcome any mental illness. Don’t let any condition ruin your life. Seek professional help from a mental health treatment in Texas today.